At Wed, 22 Jun 2005 01:16:25 +0930, Ryan Verner wrote:
> Anybody had any experiences setting up 1-way DirecPC (Telstra Bigpond)
> satellite with an uplink through an NT1+II USB ISDN modem on Linux?

err, yes.  Its an extremely common setup for one of the boxes from my
company.

> The DirecPC USB modem is a "Hughes Network Systems (HNS) Sattelite
> Device", model ISU-R1.  I seem to remember some commercial software a
> few years ago to achieve this, but I can't seem to find anything (at
> least, even remotely recent).

As I recall it, there used to be some limited linux software from
hughes themselves and even more limited free drivers elsewhere.  To
the point where we decided to develop our own drivers from scratch
(almost entirely written by Herbert Xu).

Now that the DW6000s are everywhere (ethernet based, no drivers
needed) and the drivers are no longer a significant competitive
advantage for us, Ursys could probably think about releasing the code.
The main problem is that since the "4.2" release of the satellite
system, a significant amount of user-level code is also required for
various tunnels, key management, multicast support, commissioning,
some proprietary PEP protocol used by most TCP connections, etc, etc.

Unfortunately, this user-level code is tightly tied to our other
pieces of software and wouldn't be particularly useful once cut out.
It would be a significant undertaking for someone to turn it all back
into working code again.  Given the near-end-of-life of the
DW3000/DW4000 range, I don't think anyone would (or should) expend
that sort of effort now.

If I were you, I'd seriously consider just buying a router from us
(http://www.urnet.com.au/) - they're a little expensive for private
use, but all the hard work is done and if you want to do VPNs over
satellite then we have some features that would definately interest
you.  Failing that, your only real choices are:
 - get a two-way service and DW6000 from telstra - but you won't be
   able to do one-way stuff with it without layering some tunnel of
   your own on top, or policy routing certain traffic flows to the
   ISDN.
 - run the windows drivers and try to get a windows box to be your
   gateway/firewall.  I think I even heard of someone who got that to
   work once.
 - beat on the sourceforge drivers and see if they support enough
   features to be useful for you.

--
 - Gus