On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 05:50:16PM +1000, Michael Lake wrote:
> I have a severe problem:
>
> It started with mysqdump not working:
>
> $ mysqldump --add-drop-table kiddev sys_fid
> mysqldump: unrecognized option `--max_allowed_packet=16M'

I've hit this problem recently, too.  Check /etc/{,mysql/}my.cnf for
"max_allowed_packet" -- most likely you've got it defined in there.  I can't
work out why it stopped working sometime recently, either -- I'm thinking
that a Debian woody security update lunched it somehow.  It's about the only
distro which still ships MySQL 3.23... <grin>

> Is there a more verbose option to start to tell me more info maybe?

I hunted the problems down just by running 'mysqld' at the command line.
It'll spew about 400 lines of crap when it dies -- it's the first line or
two which are interesting.  Edit my.cnf to remove that option, run again.
There'll be about 4 directives that will screw it up.  When it's running
right, it won't spew at you, it'll just sit there and not drop you back to a
prompt.  Run /etc/init.d/mysql restart in another xterm, and it'll all just
work again.

- Matt