It certainly sounds as if the modem is in routing mode. That's the common default setting these days.

David Kempe wrote:
Peter Rundle wrote:

I actually want the IP available to the Linux box so that I can do cool and groovy network thinks like Masquerade, proxy, reverse proxy etc. I could let the Modem hold the IP but then it's not available to the reverse proxy. Sounds like Roaring Penguin will have to be it.

then you do need to swtich the modem into bridged mode.
I would start with its web interface. Then goto google if its not helpful

dave

--
Howard.
LANNet Computing Associates - Your Linux people <http://lannet.com.au>