On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 08:40, Peter Rundle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> > Would a half-bridge setup work for you? That's how I have my modem set
> > up. I gave it a NAT rule to forward all packets to my GNU/Linux
> > firewall/router, which decides what to block, what to accept and what to
> > forward to client workstations.
>
> <snipped>
>
> Sridhar,
>
> That sounds like an interesting solution. I assume that you are still
> using two interfaces in the Linux box, one going to the Adsl modem, and
> one going to the Lan. Do you just run a private IP network between the
> modem and the Linux Box?
>
> Thanks for the tip

Yes, I have two interfaces on the Linux router. My setup is as you described:
eth0 goes to the modem and eth1 goes to a hub for the client machines. I have
a private IP network between eth0 and the modem and another between eth1 and
the clients.

I don't think two interfaces on the router is a requirement, though. I think
you can get away with only one interface, provided that all the client
machines have the router listed as their gateway.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan  [Yama | http://www.pclinuxonline.com/]
  {GnuPG/OpenPGP: http://dhanapalan.webhop.net/yama.asc

"Recently I bought Office XP. It was quite unpleasant feeling giving so much
money for so buggy product. ... Solution: Uninstall Office XP and Windows."
  -- Georgi Guninski, security expert, http://www.guninski.com, 2001-07-12