Hi all,

I have 5.0.4 installed (dual boot with Windersninetyeight) on an old Compaq 7770DMT Armada.

I have a D-Link DWL-650+ wireless card - picked up by Ubuntu 'out-of-the -box'.

I've set everything to default (on the w'router) so there's no WEP etc.
This is in my living room - the only place I can get a wireless connection.

Ubuntu recognises the card and I've set the wlan0 as default and it starts on boot BUT the connection seem quite unstable with Ubuntu but less so with Winders (!!!!!) - is this something to do with Ubuntu's connection to the card????

Is there a wireless signal strength app I can install to check what it's able to 'see'?

Is there something else I need to look at?

I'm new to wireless in Linux, and so would appreciate any assistance able to be offered. I'm assuming there are other settings I need to change, but I'm afraid I'm not sure where to start.

(Footnote. Still can't get sound going (ESS 1868 I think, but I'm working on that - unless someone has resolved this and has a few notes for me :)

Many thank,

Patrick