Anyone able to confirm if the Dvico Fusion HDTV card drivers are now merged into recent 2.6 kernels? ie. no need to grab the files and compile into a kernel.

I don't think they are. I know that the linuxtv.org source has merged in to the recent kernel patches.

About to embark on playing around with one and all the howtos I have found are out dated, so was wanting to confirm if the process about the driver can be skipped.

DVICO for me doesn't work for twinhan cards. So becareful that you are not trying to use wrong drivers. if your card is Twinhan then you should do is recompile with dvb-t and saa7xxxx also btxxx, and bttv-dsp. I think.

I was thinking of trying to use a recent version of Kubuntu just for the sake of it, as I want to confirm if Mythtv is remotely usefull to me after all, and if so, should i get some new hardware to run it. etc.