Hello

I am using xmms with alsa and using a shell script to play a series of sound files at different amplitudes -by setting the volume level in the ~/.xmms/config file before running - ie:

volume_left=50
volume_right=0

However they play at full volume anyway and when I look in the config file two new lines have been appended:

volume_left=100
volume_right=100

Evidently alsa is adding these lines in.

How do I stop it doing this or which alsa file does my shell script have to modify to set the desired volume levels?

Henry

Interested in the applications of technology - past, present and future - especially unusual.
[xmms]
allow_multiple_instances=TRUE
use_realtime=FALSE
always_show_cb=TRUE
convert_underscore=TRUE
convert_%20=TRUE
show_numbers_in_pl=TRUE
snap_windows=TRUE
save_window_positions=TRUE
dim_titlebar=TRUE
use_pl_metadata=TRUE
get_info_on_load=FALSE
get_info_on_demand=TRUE
eq_doublesize_linked=TRUE
no_playlist_advance=FALSE
sort_jump_to_file=FALSE
smooth_title_scroll=TRUE
use_backslash_as_dir_delimiter=FALSE
player_x=309
player_y=71
player_shaded=FALSE
player_visible=TRUE
shuffle=FALSE
repeat=FALSE
doublesize=TRUE
autoscroll_songname=TRUE
timer_mode=0
vis_type=0
analyzer_mode=0
analyzer_type=1
analyzer_peaks=TRUE
scope_mode=0
vu_mode=1
vis_refresh_rate=0
analyzer_falloff=3
peaks_falloff=1
playlist_x=295
playlist_y=25
playlist_width=300
playlist_height=232
playlist_shaded=FALSE
playlist_visible=FALSE
playlist_transparent=FALSE
playlist_font=-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-10-*
use_fontsets=FALSE
mainwin_use_xfont=FALSE
mainwin_font=-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-8-*
playlist_position=0
equalizer_x=20
equalizer_y=136
snap_distance=10
equalizer_visible=FALSE
equalizer_shaded=TRUE
equalizer_active=FALSE
equalizer_autoload=FALSE
easy_move=FALSE
use_eplugins=FALSE
always_on_top=FALSE
sticky=FALSE
equalizer_preamp=-1.11022e-15
random_skin_on_play=FALSE
pause_between_songs=FALSE
pause_between_songs_time=2
mouse_wheel_change=8
show_wm_decorations=FALSE
eqpreset_default_file=dir_default.preset
eqpreset_extension=preset
equalizer_band0=-1.11022e-15
equalizer_band1=-1.11022e-15
equalizer_band2=-1.11022e-15
equalizer_band3=-1.11022e-15
equalizer_band4=-1.11022e-15
equalizer_band5=-1.11022e-15
equalizer_band6=-1.11022e-15
equalizer_band7=-1.11022e-15
equalizer_band8=-1.11022e-15
equalizer_band9=-1.11022e-15
output_plugin=/usr/lib/xmms/Output/libALSA.so
disabled_iplugins=
url_history_length=0
generic_title_format=%p - %t
filesel_path=/home/henry/Desktop/rest/download2/_audio/_H/Hawaii
5-0/soundamerica/
volume_left=50
volume_right=0

[ALSA]