James wrote:
On Wednesday 26 October 2005 10:00, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I'm told that one of the big pros of the X server/client is that the
server and the client can be on separate machines ( I  guess like a
remote desktop). How can I use my windows machine to run applications on
the linux machine. Currently I'm just using a "vnc" setup.

Phill

Short answer: install cygwin on your windows machine, making sure to
install whatever X server is included with it.

[snip]

I don't believe that this is the answer. Cygwin allows the windows machine to have a unix-api and for it to run unix programs. It does not do what cxoffice does for linux machines.

No, but you can run an X server under cygwin which can then be used as the display for an app from a linux machine. At least that is my understanding without ever having tried it.

I know of no windows sw that will run a remote unix app.

You can look at putty which will give you a term screen which can run apps.

Not gui ones though, without an X server of some sort and XForward enabled.

I think vnc is better/easier than cygwin, but that gives you a desktop ala
any of the other X-servers that run on windows.

Really, said he sticking out his neck and saying cut-it-off, only X lets you run arbitary apps on machine A displaying on machine B. The window manager/desktop is a background issue. ie no window manager and you can still run say kmail on the blank grey screen of B from machine A.

James

Fil