On Saturday 06 May 2006 16:30, Alexander Samad wrote:

> > > Gallery2 - http://www.gallery2.org/
> >
> > Years of use, USERS like it, multi-site ie Tigger runs 7,8 galleries
> > under different urls. Many positives, only negative is I doubt you can
> > install it with the nightmare apt-get paradigsm
> > James
>
> simple apt-get
> and then point your broswer to it to configure..
>
> been using it for over a view, nice features
>
> > <grin> all my bias betrayed by one word!

In 20 years time I want my embedded system users to make a small change:
Oooops we can't recreate the exact development environment - sorry guys head
for the bell tower

I want the folk in New Zealand to build 'exactly' the same app as me in perth
- well I thought it'd work, ummm apt-get SHOULD give the same results ummm
sorry (use the bell tower again)

Take DammSmallLinux and try to make a development system and (real) soon
apt-get gives fatal errors and again 'the bell tower'

All egs are real, #1 was 10 not 20 years.
apt-get is real cute for your toy machine that does not really matter, rather
harder for 'it used to work before the upgrade'. Put it back to some version
that existed some while ago .... utterly horrid. A fixed distro on CD is much
better in this case!

Horses for courses. It does not suit me.
James