On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 11:58:45AM +1000, Peter Miller wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 11:22 +1000, Jobst Schmalenbach wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 08:14:40AM +1000, Peter Miller ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
> > wrote:
> > > Is there any elegant way to have a laptop DHCP client have its sendmail
> > > configured properly?  In all the cases I have to deal with, my laptop is
> > > a DHCP client is behind a NAT firewall.
> >
> > in sendmail.mc:
> >
> >   define(`SMART_HOST',`YOUR_ISP_UPSTREAM_MAILSERVER')
> >
> > then do a make in /etc/mail and restart sendmail
>
> I'm not getting it, this morning.
>
> In my case, the value of YOUR_ISP_UPSTREAM_MAILSERVER depends on which
> firewall I'm behind, since all the ISPs in question gate client
> connections as being from their own customers' IP addresses, not the
> whole Internet.  So one size definitely doesn't fit all.

It may be a long shot, but does sendmail accept a bare
hostname as SMART_HOST?  In which case you may be able
to set it to 'mail' or 'smtp' -- which are common names
that ISPs use.  So if dhcp puts current-isp.com.au
in /etc/resolv.conf, then sendmail will use smtp.current-isp.com.au.

> Are you suggesting I need to edit sendmail.mc every time I boot the
> machine?  Is there a way to automagically have the DHCP client daemon
> run a script to do it, instead?  Has this already been done, in a Debian
> package?  How does the script get the right value for
> YOUR_ISP_UPSTREAM_MAILSERVER from the DHCP server?

Or you put the name in /etc/hosts.
(hmmm ... or does sendmail insist on using dns)