On the machine that you're trying to connect to, try running (as root)
netstat -ntlp for me.

I think you'll find that X isn't listening on any TCP socket. It
certainly isn't on my ubuntu desktop.

If you look in /etc/gdm/gdm.conf, you'll find:

# If true this will basically append -nolisten tcp to every X command line, a
# good default to have (why is this a "negative" setting? because if it is
# false, you could still not allow it by setting command line of any particular
# server).  It's probably better to ship with this on since most users will not
# need this and it's more of a security risk then anything else.
# Note: Anytime we find a -query or -indirect on the command line we do not add
# a "-nolisten tcp", as then the query just wouldn't work, so this setting only
# affects truly local sessions.
DisallowTCP=true

I would think that at a minimum you need to set that to "False" and
restart GDM; once it's listening on a socket (you probably want to
make it only listen on 127.0.0.1 - implementing this is left as an
exercise for the reader), you should be able to connect to it.

Also, I note that you're using Xubuntu, so (unless you installed it
yourself), GDM will be the wrong thing to look at - again, finding the
correct file is left as an exercise for the reader, as is finding some
way to do this that doesn't involve messing with text config files.

Feel free to flame me off-list and I'll try to help with the exercises :)

On 29/01/07, Alan L Tyree <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 09:58:56 +1100
Peter Hardy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Alan L Tyree wrote:
> > It fails with all programs.
> >
> > The problem is that the DISPLAY variable is not getting set. After
> > logging into both machines with ssh -X machine_name
> >
> > -----------------------------
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ echo $DISPLAY
> > localhost:10.0              ** Ubuntu machine where everything
> > works -----------------------------
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ echo $DISPLAY
> >                     ** Xubuntu machine where nothing works
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > The /etc/ssh/sshd_config files are the same in both machines.
> >
> > I don't know how DISPLAY gets set
>
> If you add -vv to your ssh flags, you'll see something like:
>
> debug2: x11_get_proto: /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth -f
> /tmp/ssh-2fcsElfWeT/xauthfile generate 127.0.0.1:0.0
> MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 untrusted timeout 1200 2>/dev/null
> debug2: x11_get_proto: /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth -f
> /tmp/ssh-2fcsElfWeT/xauthfile list 127.0.0.1:0.0 2>/dev/null
> debug1: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.
> debug2: channel 0: request x11-req confirm 0
>
> after the connection is authenticated.
>
> Every time I've had a problem like this, it was because xauth wasn't
> installed on the server.

debug2: x11_get_proto: /usr/bin/X11/xauth  list :0.0 2>/dev/null
debug1: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.
debug2: channel 0: request x11-req confirm 0
debug2: client_session2_setup: id 0
debug2: channel 0: request pty-req confirm 0
debug1: Sending environment.
debug1: Sending env LANG = en_AU.UTF-8
debug2: channel 0: request env confirm 0
debug2: channel 0: request shell confirm 0
debug2: fd 3 setting TCP_NODELAY
debug2: callback done
debug2: channel 0: open confirm rwindow 0 rmax 32768
debug2: channel 0: rcvd adjust 131072
Linux misty 2.6.17-10-powerpc #2 Tue Dec 5 22:00:09 UTC 2006 ppc

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ echo $DISPLAY

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ type xauth
xauth is /usr/bin/xauth

Sigh! I don't **need** to ssh -X into this machine, so maybe I'll stop
wasting time on it. Very frustrating.

Alan

> --
> Pete
> --

Tel: +61 2 4782 2670            Mobile: +61 427 486 206
Fax: +61 2 4782 7092            FWD: 615662

There is nothing more worthy of contempt than a man who quotes himself
- Zhasper, 2004