On 30/01/07, Amos Shapira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 30/01/07, Zhasper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On the machine that you're trying to connect to, try running (as root)
> netstat -ntlp for me.
>
> I think you'll find that X isn't listening on any TCP socket. It
> certainly isn't on my ubuntu desktop.

The X server on the remote machine shouldn't have anything to do with this.
You can run X clients on a CPU which doesn't have a server as long as they
have a valiud $DISPLAY to connect to (as many of us can testify - e.g.
installing Oracle through their Java-based installer on some remote server
which doesn't even have a monitor).

Urr... quite right. I thought the Xubuntu machine was the remote
server, but on re-reading, I see that I was wrong - it's one of the
clients that's trying to connect to the server[1].

However, partway through the tread, Alan noted that:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ echo $DISPLAY
                       ** Xubuntu machine where nothing works

combine this with your completely correct comment that " You can run X
clients on a CPU which doesn't have a server as long as they have a
valid $DISPLAY to connect to" - well, I think we can see where the
problem might be :)

I'm fairly sure I'm on the right track - please let me know if I'm
still missing something :)

--
There is nothing more worthy of contempt than a man who quotes himself
- Zhasper, 2004