On 22/02/07, Howard Lowndes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
It's recommended that your swap space should be 2x your RAM.  In your
case it's .2x

Blanket statement != useful.

On a desktop, where I'm putting OOo in the background and letting
firefox chew all my ram for a while - yes, I'll take lots of swap.

On a high-performance server - I'll spend the extra couple of hundred
and get 2x the RAM instead, I don't want the performance hit that
swapping implies. I'll probably add some swap in as a bit of a buffer
for pathological cases, but if that swap starts being used I'll be
worried. Well, I might be, anyway - it would depend on the exact
purpose of the machine and its usage patterns.

On my N800, where 'swap' means extraneous writes to flash, I'll pass on swap.

My point is, swap is not always a good thing, and 2x is not always the
right amount. It used to be a decent guideline, for desktop systems,
when ram was expensive and most machines had maybe 128mb of ram. These
days, when your average desktop comes with 1Gb, and the upgrade to 2Gb
is perhaps $150 more at most... well, maybe swap is not so neccessary

In this case, Peter hasn't given us enough information - we don't know
if he's working with a low-end server, a desktop, a laptop. He's
*probably* not working with an embedded device... We don't know what
he's doing with the server, and we don't know what it's running. We
really don't know if "2xram" is an appropriate amount of swap.

--
Howard.
LANNet Computing Associates - Your Linux people <http://lannetlinux.com>

There is nothing more worthy of contempt than a man who quotes himself
- Zhasper, 2004