On 05/06/07, Voytek Eymont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
thanks, everyone, for all the detailed info, tips and suggestions !

On Tue, June 5, 2007 12:04 pm, Zhasper wrote:
> No - it will kill the sshd that listens on port 22, but not the
> process servicing your connection. I've done this before, and you probably
> have too - eg, last time you did an apt-get upgrade and it upgraded ssh
> for you.

I was just confused by seeing this in the log:

--
Jun  5 12:12:41 bilby sshd[13216]: Received signal 15; terminating.
Jun  5 12:12:41 bilby sshd[13379]: Server listening on :: port 22.

Urr... I'm confused too. What does "netstat -ntlp" show as listening
on port 22 right now?

> If you're worried, queue up a couple of at jobs - one in 10 minutes to
> start openssh, and jus tin case that doesn't work, another 10 minutes after
> that to reboot the machine.

is this like an 'at (time) service sshd start' thing ?

man 1 at

sample session:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ at now + 10 minutes
warning: commands will be executed using /bin/sh
at> echo "Hello Voytek" > /tmp/helloworld.out
at> <EOT>
job 1 at Tue Jun  5 05:32:00 2007
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$

at is fairly intelligent in terms of timeperiods - it assumes you want
to do something within 24 hours, so "6pm" will be interpreted as "6pm
tonight". it understands things like "midday", "tomorrow", and even
"teatime".

One caveat: things executed in at won't be run in your usual shell
environment (ie, it won't have run your .bash_profile or .bashrc); if
in doubt, it's best to fully specify all paths (/sbin/shutdown, not
just shutdown). If you run into other problems, they're usually caused
by an assumption you've made based on something that's normally in
your environment: having $EDITOR set, or having "alias la=ls -la" set,
or something like that.

thanks again
--
Voytek

There is nothing more worthy of contempt than a man who quotes himself
- Zhasper, 2004