This one time, at band camp, Dean Hamstead wrote:

> Ah yes, this i realise. I have unwired through internode which is just
> vanilla pppoe. Unwired has prepaid which is appealing for the circumstance
> for which i am investigating.

Virgin Broadband has a 30-day cooling off period, which might be worth
investigating if you're just trying to plug a gap waiting for fixed-line
broadband.

> How does unwired know who you are if it is using dhcp? do they
> want your MAC address?

You register the MAC address of the Unwired "modem" with Unwired.
That's the access control.  The DHCP server is inside the "modem".

--
Rev Simon Rumble <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
www.rumble.net

The Tourist Engineer
Because geeks travel too.
http://engineer.openguides.org/

 "... Microsoft has a new version out, Windows XP, which according
  to everybody is the 'most reliable Windows ever.' To me, this
  is like saying that asparagus is 'the most articulate vegetable
  ever.'"
- Dave Barry