This one time, at band camp, Dean Hamstead wrote:

> do any of those $30 1gig things work in linux yet? i spent some
> time trying to get an optus then a 3 one working. (both use
> the same hardware). but with no love. 1 gig isnt enough, and
> the data charges after 1gig are just theft.

Probably, though I've never managed to get it going.  Most of those
deals are a scam unless you're already a heavy mobile user.  They're
only available for post-paid customers on hefty monthly plans.

However, I was referring to this:
http://www.virginbroadband.com.au/

Which is a hardware GSM+HDSPA (3G) terminal with a standard phone
socket, ethernet and 802.11b, connecting to the Optus network.  The deal
is actually very good if you use <4 gigs a month and make lots of calls
to landlines.  Coverage is likely to be less patchy than Unwired too, as
it's Optus's network.

The trick I'm suggesting, however, is their 30 day money back guarantee.
If you cancel in the first 30 days, you only pay for what you use.  I've
looked at the fine print (will be in a similar situation in a coupla
weeks) and can't see a catch -- but I'd advise you to read it yourself
as telcos are sneaky buggers.

That said, if you look at the Whirlpool forum there's a lot of unhappy
people.  Then again, except for the Internode forum, that seems to be
the case for every ISP forum on WP.
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-threads.cfm?f=18&g=119

--
Rev Simon Rumble <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
www.rumble.net

The Tourist Engineer
Geeks need vacations too.
http://engineer.openguides.org/

"Impact: Non-privileged primitive users can cause the
 total destruction of your entire invasion fleet and
 gain unauthorized access to files."
- CERT Advisory CA-96.13 - Alien/OS Vulnerability