On Mon, Apr 21, 2008, Glen Turner wrote:
> Networks *should* block outgoing SMTP from anything but authorised
> mail servers.  They should, however, allow IMAPS (993) and
> Authenticated SMTP (587 to allow users to exchange mail with third-party
> servers.

Indeed, but in this case they've blocked everything except HTTP(S) and
THAT is also increasingly common: block all ports and wait for users to
scream. Screaming sometimes gets outgoing SSH back, but hasn't in this
case. So, really, that's the scenario I was talking about being fairly
common now: pretty much everything blocked. I know of at least two
universities now who do this for their wireless networks.

-Mary