On a clean Hardy server install, I'm running
postfix/dovecot/ssl/imap/postfixadmin/squirrelmail

Using squirrelmail, everything works fine.

I've imported the snakeoil certificate [1] into evolution [2] on my
fiesty client and although it seems to accept the certificate correctly
it always wants to know if I want to accept this unknown certificate.

I have the same problem on a Macintosh using Entourage mail client.

Have I missed the point? I feel like their should be something in
dovecot to point at the certificates, but can't find it. Please forgive
me if it's blindingly obvious :)

David.

[1] server: /etc/ssl/certs/ssl-cert-snakeoil.pem
[2] Evolution: Preferences/Certificates/Authorities/Import