On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 11:07 +1000, Michael Lake wrote:
> Peter Hardy wrote:
> > Hey hey.

> >> The above won't remove a package if there are dependencies.
> >
> > It should. What version of debian / apt do you have?
> > To pick an example at random:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~% sudo apt-get remove compiz-core
>
> Ah, maybe the difference is that in my case its an upsteam dependency
> (something
> depends on what I want to remove) whereas in the example above its a
> downsteam
> dependency (what I want to remove depends on something).

`apt-get remove` will *only* handle upstream dependencies. The
autoremove command that etch doesn't seem to support can do both
upstream and downstream.

> This is what I get:
>
> # cat installed.packages | grep evol | cut -f1
> evolution-common
> evolution-data-server
> evolution-data-server-common
> evolution-webcal
> #
>
> # cat installed.packages | grep evol | cut -f1 | xargs dpkg -P
> (Reading database ... 79929 files and directories currently installed.)
> Would remove or purge evolution-common ...
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent removal of evolution-data-server:  ekiga
> depends on
> evolution-data-server.
> dpkg: error processing evolution-data-server (--purge):
>   dependency problems - not removing
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent removal of evolution-data-server-common:
>   evolution-data-server depends on evolution-data-server-common (=
> 1.6.3-5etch1).
> dpkg: error processing evolution-data-server-common (--purge):
>   dependency problems - not removing
> Would remove or purge evolution-webcal ...
>   evolution-data-server
>   evolution-data-server-common
> #

$ sudo dpkg -r evolution-common
dpkg: dependency problems prevent removal of evolution-common:
 evolution depends on evolution-common (= 2.22.3.1-0ubuntu1).
dpkg: error processing evolution-common (--remove):
 dependency problems - not removing
 evolution-common

$ sudo apt-get remove evolution-common
[sudo] password for phardy:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  evolution evolution-common evolution-exchange evolution-plugins
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 4 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 106MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

apt marks evolution-common, and everything that depends on it, and
any/all downstream packages for removal. For giggles, `try apt-get
remove libc6` and see what it tells you.

--
Pete