On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 14:10 +1000, Mary Gardiner wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008, Voytek Eymont wrote:
> > is there any req on me having an 'apache@' address if I'm sending
> > emails as such ?
> >
> > (i.e., who misconfigured their server ?)
>
> Sender address verification is a fairly common anti-spam technique.
> RFC 2821 allows for mail to be rejected based on local policy, and the
> remote end has chosen to implement a policy whereby the return address
> must verifiably exist (in the sense of being able to receive the first
> part of an SMTP transaction) before accepting mail. So it's not a
> configuration that violates the protocol, that I can see.
>
> Whether it's a totally sensible configuration is another question: it
> tends to interact badly if the sender address in turn greylists incoming
> mail, for example. But it's unlikely to be accidental on their part.

I for one think it's perfectly cromulent. If the sender MX utilises
greylisting then it'll send back a transient failure message as distinct
from a permanent 550 failure. At that point, the receiving MX can either
assume a transient failure means it's normally a valid address and
accept the mail, or give back its own transient failure - an eye for an
eye if you like.
If that's a problem, I'm more inclined to blame it on greylisting.
Introducing needless artificial delays strikes me as an incredibly ugly
solution for dealing with spam.

--
Pete