On Fri, Oct 17, 2008, Kyle wrote:
> Is this possibly for real?

The government has certainly been planning to require that ISPs
filter-by-default. The exact status of:

 - whether complete opt-out is possible

 - the extent of filtering of, eg, encrypted traffic (I have been told
   by a sysadmin, although without a source, that there are rumours that
   they will require ISPs to do Man In The Middle on HTTPS)

 - whether this is a serious plan, or some kind of stunt along the lines
   of:

   - "oh we tried to filter your Internet we really did but it turns out
     the trial was a failure, the tech just isn't there yet!" or

   - an aggressive starting position they intend to back away from so
     that something still problematic is perceived as 'reasonable': "as
     a noble compromise, we agree to take your second born rather than first
     born children, isn't compromise great?"

I wrote about this in my blog, but in short I suspect the best response
is to send a letter to Senator Conroy and the shadow minister Senator
Nick Minchin expressing your disapproval of the plan and calling on them
to drop the plan/oppose the plan, as appropriate
http://puzzling.org/logs/thoughts/2008/October/14/internet-filtering

-Mary