2008/12/3 Michael Lake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Hi all
>
> I am trying to get data off someones old machine that died and place it onto
> a new machine for them. The old machine had two Western Digital IDE drives
> as RAID1. I have inserted one of the drives into a new machine in place of
> the CDROM drive and connected it's IDE cable up and it shows up as /dev/sdc
>
> /dev/sdc
>     sdc1
>     sdc2
>     sdc3
>     sdc5
>
> Both of the drives show the same info above. By trying mount I can see that
> partition 2 is the swap, 1 is probably a /boot and the data that I wish to
> retrieve is on either or both of 3 or 5. See "Try to mount the Partitions"
> below.
>
> I also used mdadm to get some detailed info on sdc5 (see below).
>
> My problem is that I can't work out how to mount sdc3 (have tried -t ext3,
> -t reiserfs, -t auto) or sdc5. The latter is probably the one I want. I
> gather the partition table says it 'mdraid' and I need to change that?

[snip]

Hey,

Try starting the raid array with a missing member and then mounting
the resulting md device.

# mdadm --assemble --run --uuid b6035660:c11a8a2e:7026aea2:99d23bfc  /dev/sdc5
# mount /dev/md1 /mnt

N.B.
I haven't checked the syntax, you may need to add /dev/md1 to the
mdadm line.. I don't have a box in front of me to check...
The general idea should be right though..

cheers,
Owen.