2008/12/3 Michael Lake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Michael Lake wrote:
>>
>> (Also this new machine I'm trying to mount it on is a raid system using
>> mdraid
>
> Oops. I meant dmraid not mdraid
>
> This should not affect trying to mount the old raid disk - I hope.
>
> Mike

Hey,

dmraid I believe is the linux implementation of 'fakeraid' - the
onboard motherboard raid.
In my understanding this has none of the benefits of either software
_or_ hardware raid and many of the pitfalls.  With the buzz-word
'fakeraid' it should be trivial to find more info if you so desire.
dmraid and mdadm can co-exist quite happily, they should choose
non-conflicting /dev/ nodes and/or fail gracefully.
By placing /dev/md1 where you did in the mdadm command line you were
effectively listing it as a component device of the array you were
trying to start.  Not a problem, but not the desired result.  I'm not
sure why 'missing' didn't work, perhaps it is a 'create' mode only
option.

How'd you go?

cheers,
Owen.