2009/1/21 Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+s...@mega-nerd.com>:
> david wrote:
>
>> I have a directory tree, plus an approximate copy of the same tree.
>> du reports 35mb for one and 36 for the other. They  are quite complex trees.
>>
>> My task is to figure out where and why they are different. Is there a simple
>> way
>> to do this? A kind of diff for directories/files/filesizes.
>
> I'm pretty sure the diff program will actually do this.

[snip diff options]

> You may also want to try doing "ls -lR dirname > dirname.txt" on both
> directories and then viewing the outputs in a graphical diff program.
>
> HTH,
> Erik
[snip footer]

For a different type of formatted output you could also try something
like tree[0]
$ tree -ah dir1 > dir1.out
$ tree -ah dir2 > dir2.out
$ diff -wy --left-column dir1.out dir2.out

cheers,
Owen.

[0] `tree` is in its own package by the same name under Ubuntu, I
imagine it is similar for other distros.