Quoting Adrian Chadd <adr...@creative.net.au>:

> On Thu, May 14, 2009, fos...@tpg.com.au wrote:
>
> > Still working on this, the whole thing appeared to lock up and we
> > have rebooted.    We have now replaced a drive in the raid and hopefully
> > this will work better.   Of course this is going to take ages to
> > rebuild.
>
> lets hope you don't throw another disk during the rebuild with all of
> that parallel IO going on.

Update:

dd has a problem with fatal disk errors,  it will stop and loop.   There
are two programs that will help with this ddrescue and dd_rescue,  they
are different.   dd_rescue appears to be the one that can use seek to
skip these fatal errors.

I downloaded a staticly linked version from the internet and I am now
running the recovery.   There are two disks in the original Raid that
are cactus when the copy hits them it just dies totally.  After a period
of time it gets a fatal and then dd_rescue dumps nulls in it's place and
moves on.

Lessons learnt:

- a journalling file system is bigger than what you see,  3Tb is really
3.3Tb when doing a direct copy.

- Get lots of harddisk in the beginning.   750G drives really only give
you 698G.  It is annoying to be 300G short and have to go to the shop again.

- Expect lots of wait time,   hard errors on raid take a long time to
give up.

- Don't promise anything, expect it to fail.

- LVM is really cool and well worth the time to rad up on it.   I am now
going to LVM my home system.

Ta
Ken