2009/5/15 <fos...@tpg.com.au>

> Quoting Adrian Chadd <adr...@creative.net.au>:
>
> > On Thu, May 14, 2009, fos...@tpg.com.au wrote:

> Lessons learnt:
>
> - a journalling file system is bigger than what you see,  3Tb is really
> 3.3Tb when doing a direct copy.
>
> - Get lots of harddisk in the beginning.   750G drives really only give
> you 698G.  It is annoying to be 300G short and have to go to the shop
> again.
>
> - Expect lots of wait time,   hard errors on raid take a long time to
> give up.
>
> - Don't promise anything, expect it to fail.
>
> - LVM is really cool and well worth the time to rad up on it.   I am now
> going to LVM my home system.

I'm planning to do this as well.
I was thinking back to Mary's backup post last year and thinking if I could
do lvm snapshots with an external harddrive.  Still a bit new to lvm though.
I think you have to install the alternate ubuntu cd to get lvm right?
(unless you are using the server install instead of the desktop).

--
Daniel Bush

http://blog.web17.com.au