> > It's driving me nuts; i've spent the last couple of hours
> > twiddling knobs like crazy and making repeated calls to the test
> > service.

What I do after checking the sound levels with a gui based application
is install another sound level controller.  Let's see..

sudo apt-cache search sound ...

alsa-firmware-loaders
lib32asound2-plugins
alsaplayer-alsa
alsamixergui
alsa-tools-gui
ubuntu-restricted-extras

Yes, I know it doesn't sound all that sensible but I found that after
installing Jaunty Jackoffalot some things were missing.  I had to play
around with apt-cache search for a while to find what I had missed.
Don't know what this is about :)  Other than that it's a hardware
issue.

Regards

Richard
www.sheflug.org.uk