On Tuesday 19 May 2009 08:32:33 Andrew Cowie wrote:
> As long as the graphics arts industry continue to use those names
> to identify, and the printing industry uses such names to
> distinguish the pile of coloured bottles on the shelf, then
> apparently there's nothing we can do. ie, we are free to come up
> with our own names for inks, release them freely, and manufacture
> said inks to our hearts content. But this doesn't do us the least
> bit of good until such time as such inks were widely available at
> printing houses as an alternative to the Pantone copyright ones.
> And that ain't about to happen.
>
> It's exasperating, but the names & mapping are their property. I
> think most people who need to would be happy to pay for access, but
> a) such a datapack would be non-redistributable, and in any case b)
> since people are used to getting it for "free" (in products whose
> vendors have already paid Pantone for a licence), people don't
> really get the idea that there's a cost to it.
>
> So maybe we need to go on a crusade to convince ink manufacturers
> to _also_ label their products with [some hypothetical set of
> redistributable] names, as well as Pantone ones.

Some further background information for people who might not know a
lot about this ....

http://www.linux.com/archive/articles/49236?theme=print
http://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=43129

For further info use Google and search for "Linux Pantone" or similar.
An add on Gtk+ application for Gimp and Inkscape might do the job.  As
always, it comes back to some brave sole who wants to write the code
and circulate the software :)  Someone has to do it.  See also..

http://endsoftpatents.org/

Richard
www.sheflug.org.uk