2009/10/31 Robert Collins <robe...@robertcollins.net>

> A small note: if you have Hardy, the ISO won't help, you should upgrade
> via update-manager -c -d (or wait 6 more months for Lucid which will be
> a LTS release).

Speaking of Ubuntu LTS - does anyone see real value in sticking to it?

I tried to stick to Hardy because it's LTS but a bug which, well,
bugged me (something with X keymaps and auto-login) was fixed in the
next, none-LTS release and Ubuntu basically said "it's fixed in the
next release and it's too much of a hassle to back-port, so LTS won't
have this bug fixed and you can upgrade to none-LTS if you like".

So I upgraded and so far learned that "LTS" doesn't mean anything.
Google'ing about LTS back then seemed to hint that many others got the
same conclusion as me.

Do others have better experience with LTS over none-LTS? Anything that
made them wish/thankful that they have LTS on their desktop?

The goal of trying to stick with LTS was to get a stable system - one
where Skype will work with my webcam, mic and speaker, Firefox won't
blow up on me and play Flash. I'm now with 9.04 which took a while to
get Speaker working and mic doesn't work, I don't know whether it's a
Skype problem or hardware except that the mic used to work with ALSA
until PulseAudio was thrust on me. I'm not a gamer and don't have time
to play with the latest and greatest, I just need to Get Things
Done(tm) - monitor my work network (which is based on CentOS 5, great
support and stability, BTW), browsing, e-mail (gmail, hosted exchange
server (another sore point), skype (which doesn't do voice for months
now), printing (which loses the printer every time it changes IP
address).

Cheers,

--Amos

PS - I love it how the Windows 7 official release was the none-news of
the week :)