Sorry Daniel if I offended your favourite program. It is just that I
have had to re-setup my sound several times now with each ubuntu upgrade
and it has almost always been a problem that could be lain at the feet
of PulseAudio. I have been able to solve the problem this time with
Robert's advice and editing of some files but in the past it has had to
be removed to repair the system and it took ubuntu desktop with it - not
a characteristic of a well behaved program. It has given me grief in the
past so I have always considered it malware but I take your point and
will not do so in future.

Heracles