On Thursday 19 Nov 2009 11:21:28 Amos Shapira wrote:
> The work desktop will come with an on-board Intel chip, which as
>  far as I followed should be supported using open-source drivers.
>
> Do you use Skype and Flash? Any issues with them?

No.  On Ubuntu which is the easiest to use with Flash and Skype...

apt-get install flashplugin-installer skype

You have to add this to /etc/apt/sources.list

# Medibuntu
deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ karmic free non-free

and then run 'apt-get update'

> Yes, I'm sure 2Gb will be enough for 64 bit but until I start
> installing amount of memory which requires 64 bit I'm not sure
>  what's the benefit (a little more speed? I just use it for
>  browsing, skype, email and ssh).

I don't get any grinding noises from my SATA drive.  It's quick
enough.  You could put 4Gb into it to future proof it a bit more.  I
don't like to lift the lid of a PC once I've built it.  Except for
once every six months I'll run a vacuum cleaner around the inside of
it and check the CPU fans and PSU.  Good idea to look at those.  I
used to build PCs and servers for IBM and Compaq.

> Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

Yes.

--
Richard