Also be aware that there some ISPs tend to a few things with DNS

1. Some do block access to their DNS from outside of their network. I think
this is mainly because they don't want to provide a service to the wider
Internet that potentially means their own customers get impacted by DNS DOS
attacks or simply heavy load. Certainly Telstra did do this as their DNS
became well-known in Australia.

I recently implemented a fairly large enterprise and Internet facing DNS
environment for a telecommunications customer recently and the legacy
environment was being impacted quite heavily by non-customer load.

So while you may have some Telstra DNS server addresses, they may be being
blocked from their mobile/3G network to minimise unplanned load.

2. DNS can be used to help direct the subsequent application traffic to
particular managed servers. For instance, Internode provide unmetered
content to their customers, one of which is the ABC iView service. However
at least in some part, probably because of the use of content-delivery
networks, Internode ask to make you use their DNS. I presume if you don't
their is a risk that your ABC iVIew traffic gets directed to servers other
than those Internode can provide unmetered traffic for, and hence you think
your iView is unmetered but is in fact coming from outside servers. And as
James Gray has said DNS can also be used as a poor-mans way of filtering
traffic - by giving NXDOMAIN or other redirections when you try to resolve
the name of an "undesired" service. (And of course hijacking legitimate DNS
services, through cache poisoning and the like, is one way the bad guys can
you fool you to visit them instead of your regular programmed service).

Most Interrnet service providers do list what their recommended DNS is for
their service. Usually you can implement your own or choose your own DNS
service, but you need to be aware a little of what you are doing.

Regards, Martin

martinvisse...@gmail.com