Hi David

All the linux big boys are moving fast to KVM. Redhat and IBM have abandoned Xen completely, making it an out of kernel patch set maintained by Citrix and perhaps code from Oracle. Youll find that Debian has also elected to discontinue Xen in the next release.

Virtualbox is still nice for desktop quasi-trivial virtualisation. (Im sure someone objects to that, and has taken it to a huge scale...)

KVM is still the only in kernel hypervisor (if thats what it is, which it sort of isnt).

VMware is free as in beer.

At my telco of employ, we are using KVM extensively. Im of the opinion is the most sane design, gives you the most control and follows the unix way of re-using existing components to the nth degree.

Chances are its already installed on your reasonably recent release distribution of choice.

Dean