Have you looked at the Parallax Propeller?
32 gpio pins

it also has 8 cores (or what they call Cogs)
32bit
80Mhz top speed with external clock source, or 12Mhz with internal osc.
3.3v power
boot from i2c eeprom or serial

ive been playing around with one. The only downside - they invented a new
programming language for it - SPIN - which is nothing short of disgusting
to learn and use. It leaves a foul taste in my mouth just thinking about it.

the free ide also allowes for parallax assembler code.

and theres third party compilers for other languages - C, assembler, et al

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Bruce Hodsdon <bhods...@rhmeng.com> wrote:

> The Raspberry pi is supposed to have 17 I/O pins max according to the wiki
> (if you turn all the i2c & SPI busses off).
>
> Given how often I run out of pins on an arduino, I could use the expansion
>
> Yours,
> Bruce Hodsdon
> Senior Engineering Consultant
> RHM Consultants Pty Ltd