Yeah, that sounds about right. Changes between major versions can take quite a bit of time. In the past I've seen upgrades take 2-3 hours for the DB.

As for ways to speed it up. Putting the DB on newer hardware if you haven't already helps quite a bit (depends on architecture as to how much gain you will get, we went from AMD Abu Dhabi to Intel Broadwell and saw a factor of 3-4 speed improvement). Upgrading to the latest version of MariaDB if you are on an old version of MySQL can get you about 30-40%.

Doing all of these whittled our DB upgrade times for major upgrades to about 30 min or so.

Beyond that I imagine some more specific DB optimization tricks could be done, but I'm not a DB admin so I won't venture to say.

-Paul Edmon-