I've been asked to upgrade our slurm installation. I have a slurm 2.3.4 on
a Debian 7.0 wheezy cluster (1 master + 8 nodes). I've not installed it so
I'm a bit confused about how to do this and how to proceed without
destroying anything.

I was thinking to upgrade at least to Jessie (Debian 8) but what about
Slurm? I've read carefully the upgrading section (
https://slurm.schedmd.com/quickstart_admin.html) of the doc, reading that
the upgrade must be done incrementally and not jumping from 2.3.4 to 17,
for example.

Stil is not clear to me precisely how to do this. How would you proceed if
asked to upgrade a cluster you just don't know nothing about? What would
you check? What version of o.s. and slurm would you choose? What would you
backup? And how would you proceed?

Any info is gold! Thank you