On 17-10-2018 20:13, Aravindh Sampathkumar wrote:
I built a SLURM cluster and am able to successfully run jobs as root.
However, when I try to submit jobs as a regular user, I hit permission problems.

username@console:[~] > srun -N1 /bin/hostname
slurmstepd: error: couldn't chdir to `/usr/home/username': Permission denied: going to /tmp instead
fancy.host.name

I tried to google around, but could not get a clear view of how user permissions are passed around with SLURM.

It would appear that your user accounts and home file system are not set up correctly on all nodes. Sanity is required in order for Slurm to work ;-)

First, ignore your Slurm setup and try to log in manually to all compute and login nodes as user "username" and make sure this user (and all other normal users in /etc/passwd) have the correct UID, GID and a shared home directory file system mounted with correct permissions. I find it a bit unusual if users have a home directory located in `/usr/home/username'.

/Ole