I've spent a couple of days trying to figure out how to make smartos zones
behave with an external DHCP server (pfSense). I'm trying to keep the JSON
manipulation to a minimum. It seems nothing in the DHCP config sticks except
the IP address. The zone doesn't register a hostname; the gateway, dns
search and resolvers don't populate; no NTP, etc. I've scoured the wiki,
github and Google, even Solaris threads, and have come up with nothing
sustainable on this topic. If the captive DHCP server is the only way, then
shouldn't there be a config in the global zone that would accommodate
something like dnsmasq or some local resolution scheme? Looking for
help/ideas. Thanks. Robert