Thank you Jonathan for your swift reply and your hard work with pkgsrc.

Kevin Ratcliffe

Sent from [ProtonMail](https://protonmail.ch)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [smartos-discuss] Java SmartOS Image
Local Time: 12 October 2016 10:05 AM
UTC Time: 12 October 2016 09:05
From: jper...@joyent.com
To: smartos-discuss@lists.smartos.org

* On 2016-10-12 at 09:31 BST, Kevr wrote:

> Is the Java image
> https://docs.joyent.com/public-cloud/instances/infrastructure/images/smartos/java
>  still being maintained? Has it been renamed?

 We've found that a number of these custom images have never been very
 popular, and so it's not really worth the effort of creating and
 maintaining them, especially when they offer so little compared to the
 base images.

 For many of them you can create an identical environment using a base
 image and issuing a single "pkgin install" command to install the
 required software, and that gives you more choice into exactly which
 versions you want to install (e.g. Oracle/Sun vs OpenJDK for Java).

 You also have the option of building upon the "minimal" image if you
 prefer a stripped down customised image for your deployment.

 One thing I'd like to see is a community site where simple recipes
 showing how to set up popular image types are documented. I have some
 in progress for setting up a DNS and mail server etc., so if anyone
 else has something similar let me know and we'll start gathering these
 together. That way people can easily build exactly the images they
 require, and know exactly how they are put together.

 Thanks,

 --
 Jonathan Perkin - Joyent, Inc. - www.joyent.com