Or just start with just SmartOS and http://datasets.at

SmartOS is quite easy to learn, you can always search for Solaris and the
things you want, because there is great similarity. (although some specifics
are completely different)
But I have servers running 25 SmartOS zones on HP G7 servers without
problems, even mixed with ubuntu and other linux zones. RAM memory is a
break point for installing more zones, so try to use hardware that has
possibilities to increase RAM al low costs.

Main problem with GUI's is that they will make your life easier until a
certain point and then you need to dive into the commandline. And since you
always used the GUI you are not familiar with the commandline commands and
then the learning curve is a steep hill to climb. Especially because the
moment you need to dive in is in error situations where you have little time
to learn.

Biggest fun I had was last year when Microsoft announced their nano servers.
It is a copy of the solaris / SmartOS idea and the containerized way of
handling virtual machines was the reason I started using solaris 10 years
ago.

We run SmartOS on HP and DELL server hardware, but also on micro PC's with
IntelR AtomT E3845 1.91GHz SoC CPU. It had 2 zones, 1 with MySQL and the
other with a JAVA webserver and OpenJDK8 which ran very nice. This micro PC
was a test, but was quite impressive to see the performance.