Thanks to everyone who has commented on the proposed experimental setup as
your input is truly appreciated.

Actually, I firmly believe that hardware VPN solutions are the best
approach for consolidated data centers and are the optimal path.

The proposed experiment is just to test one small part of a much larger
design which is actually composed of hardware in local data centers
connected with hardware VPN's as well.

This part is to just test the "possibility" of it working in a way to
connect a HN in one location to some satellite CN's that may be singularly
distributed across the WAN. Actually, RancherOS does something like this by
connecting worker nodes running on baremetal, VPS systems, etc... for their
docker and kubernetes based solution to allow for distributed worker nodes
as well as their HN also being a compute node as well. Of course we are
really talking about apples and oranges here because the SDC/TDC solution
is a significantly more mature and more advanced IaaS solution that allows
for VM's and not just docker based engines to communicate in a distributed
manner.

On the software VPN exploration, I have also recently come across SoftEther
(https://www.softether.org/) and MeshBird (http://meshbird.com/) which also
may be of some interest.

Thanks again to everyone and have a great weekend,
Lonnie