Quick update on this.

I rebooted in to recovery mode and swapped the pools as suggested. The
system now boots using the new ones pool but it fails to start the local
file system service and all those that rely on it.
The cause is some cruft in the /zones folder that prevents /zones mounting.

I’ve had to come away for a few days so I won’t get back to looking at this
until Tuesday. I think I know the cause though. Finger trouble on my part
when I was copying data to the new pool.

Gareth