* On 2018-02-02 at 18:24 GMT, George Linn via smartos-discuss wrote:

> I  am trying to figure out how to script some vmadm commands in a bash
> script. For a basic scenario, the bash script calls vmadm to create a VM and
> that works fine.  However, I am trying to capture the UUID of the newly
> created VM.
> I receive the following message on the screen:
> "Successfully created VM 0999429a-6b52-edfd-f0b7-997ca26df1fc"
>
> Can someone provide an example of how bash can call "vmadm create -f" and
> record the UUID if the VM is successfully created?

Rather than parsing the output which shouldn't be considered stable,
you might want to try the approach of performing a lookup after the
zone has been created based on the alias you used.

So, for example, after creating a zone with the 'myzonealias' alias
(catchy I know!):

  $ vmadm create <<-EOF
  >   ..
  >   "alias": "myzonealias",
  >   ..
  > EOF

You can use 'vmadm lookup' to retrive the UUID:

  $ myzoneuuid=$(vmadm lookup -1 alias=myzonealias)

As long as you don't have duplicate aliases (which would probably be a
bad idea in the first place anyway), this should work fine.