“vmadm create -f”.Is the issue that “vmadm create -f” creates additional
processes and writes text to the screen that grep and cut process don’t have
access to?

    On Friday, February 2, 2018, 1:46:22 PM EST, Jonathan Perkin
<jper...@joyent.com> wrote:

 * On 2018-02-02 at 18:24 GMT, George Linn via smartos-discuss wrote:

> I  am trying to figure out how to script some vmadm commands in a bash
> script. For a basic scenario, the bash script calls vmadm to create a VM and
> that works fine.  However, I am trying to capture the UUID of the newly
> created VM.
> I receive the following message on the screen:
> "Successfully created VM 0999429a-6b52-edfd-f0b7-997ca26df1fc"
>
> Can someone provide an example of how bash can call "vmadm create -f" and
> record the UUID if the VM is successfully created?

 Rather than parsing the output which shouldn't be considered stable,
 you might want to try the approach of performing a lookup after the
 zone has been created based on the alias you used.

 So, for example, after creating a zone with the 'myzonealias' alias
 (catchy I know!):

   $ vmadm create <<-EOF
   >  ..
   >  "alias": "myzonealias",
   >  ..
   > EOF

 You can use 'vmadm lookup' to retrive the UUID:

   $ myzoneuuid=$(vmadm lookup -1 alias=myzonealias)

 As long as you don't have duplicate aliases (which would probably be a
 bad idea in the first place anyway), this should work fine.

 --
 Jonathan Perkin  -  Joyent, Inc.  -  www.joyent.com