My home server has two physical NICs but I've only been using one so far. I
now want to use the second to create a DMZ from the router rather than
having external traffic NAT'd into the server.
I already have an Ubuntu KVM that runs a reverse proxy but initially only
had the primary NIC included in its configuration.
I am trying to convince the KVM it now has two NICs but not having a great
deal of success.
dladm show-phys gives

LINK         MEDIA                STATE      SPEED  DUPLEX    DEVICE

igb0         Ethernet             up         1000   full      igb0

igb1         Ethernet             up         1000   full      igb1

ixgbe0       Ethernet             down       0      unknown   ixgbe0

ixgbe1       Ethernet             down       0      unknown   ixgbe1

dladm show-phys -m gives

LINK         SLOT     ADDRESS            INUSE CLIENT

igb0         primary  c:c4:7a:75:8c:2e   yes  igb0

igb1         primary  c:c4:7a:75:8c:2f   yes  igb1

ixgbe0       primary  c:c4:7a:75:90:16   yes  ixgbe0

ixgbe1       primary  c:c4:7a:75:90:17   yes  ixgbe1

/usbkey/config contains

#

# This file was auto-generated and must be source-able by bash.

#

# admin_nic is the nic admin_ip will be connected to for headnode zones.

admin_nic=c:c4:7a:75:8c:2e

admin_ip=172.29.12.15

admin_netmask=255.255.255.0

admin_network=172.29.12.0

admin_gateway=172.29.12.15

#external_nic is the second physical nic on the server

dmz_nic=c:c4:7a:75:8c:2f

#external0_ip=172.29.13.15

#external0_netmask=255.255.255.0

#external0_gateway=172.29.13.1

headnode_default_gateway=172.29.12.1

dns_resolvers=172.29.12.7,8.8.4.4

dns_domain=agdon.net

ntp_hosts=0.smartos.pool.ntp.org

compute_node_ntp_hosts=172.29.12.15

root_authorized_keys_file=authorized_keys

default_keymap=uk

dladm show-vnic gives

LINK         OVER       SPEED MACADDRESS        MACADDRTYPE VID  ZONE

eth0         igb0       0     62:71:db:d:c4:cd  fixed       0
32423f75-d86f-c531-bcb6-b67d92275d6c

eth0         igb0       0     e2:e6:84:4e:22:3f fixed       0
2db2eea0-f833-4a89-890a-8edcc7c8f685

eth0         igb0       0     32:b7:42:80:e7:ba fixed       0
ff8b3ad2-e7e2-e056-c01b-ac8dad184937

eth0         igb0       0     72:cb:65:db:a5:53 fixed       0
147f4eca-1783-4b80-d7e4-9a1d4420567a

eth0         igb0       0     c2:e2:c8:b2:1f:6e fixed       0
2a9bfaf4-ddf1-e146-ab80-e2f8723ec714

eth0         igb0       0     22:10:4c:6c:ec:5d fixed       0
0246b0fe-771c-60ba-cbe6-92ea5795117b

net0         igb0       0     12:2f:ff:af:37:69 fixed       0
d9ad31fd-f4cf-4791-b322-44f4a0e98f62

net0         igb0       0     22:58:2c:53:ae:9f fixed       0
4bc5b510-2d5d-e47e-c3bc-d492dfeae320

(Note: no mention of any vnic over igb1)
and vmadm get <vm> | json nics gives

[

  {

    "interface": "net0",

    "mac": "22:58:2c:53:ae:9f",

    "nic_tag": "admin",

    "gateway": "172.29.12.1",

    "gateways": [

      "172.29.12.1"

    ],

    "netmask": "255.255.255.0",

    "ip": "172.29.12.9",

    "ips": [

      "172.29.12.9/24"

    ],

    "model": "virtio",

    "primary": true

  },

  {

    "interface": "net1",

    "mac": "0c:c4:7a:75:8c:2f",

    "nic_tag": "dmz",

    "gateway": "172.29.13.1",

    "gateways": [

      "172.29.13.1"

    ],

    "netmask": "255.255.255.0",

    "ip": "172.29.13.9",

    "ips": [

      "172.29.13.9/24"

    ],

    "model": "virtio"

  }

]

In the KVM
/etc/networking/interfaces has

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

# The loopback network interface

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface

auto ens3

iface ens3 inet dhcp

iface ens4 inet static

        address 172.29.13.9/24

        gateway 172.29.13.1

Despite all this, the KVM denies any knowledge of the second NIC.

Any ideas?

Regards

Gareth