2010/3/26 e.waelde <ew.ng7...@nassur.net>:
> 2010-03-25   Installing debian from scratch on openmoko freerunner

Great report! You also found some same issues I did in my guide at
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/User:TimoJyrinki

My installation itself also went problem-free, although I found out
there are some MicroSD cards you simply apparently cannot get to work
with FreeRunner, no matter which SD clock rate etc. settings. Thus I
made some clarifications about potential SD card problems at
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianOnFreeRunner.

> Do install bash to run the install.sh script on your flash-based distro.
> Some might need to install perl as well.
> opkg install bash

This is guided already.

>   however, when logging in via network, the value of PATH is
>   /bin:/usb/bin
>   only, which is not enough to successfully run apt-get, say.
>   This can be fixed by editing /etc/profile. But I did not find out, where
>   PATH is set. It might be, that the compiled-in default of login is
>   supplying this value. If this is correct, then /etc/login.defs is not
>   used or understood for some reason.

Quite true. I think it has been mentioned also before but I guess
no-one exactly knows what's the difference between "our Debian" and
other Debian installations at this moment.

>   After correcting this, apt-get will install requested packages
>   and not say something like "ldconfig not found ..."

Been there...

>   tangogps
>   did start but not switch on gps. Nor did it help to switch it on
>   manually. It does help to install fso-gpsd and start it.
>
>   --> should fso-gpsd go into the PACKAGES_TASK_GPS variable?

fso-gpsd is apparently considered a bit disfunctional as it lacks some
"proper" (?) gpsd functionality. gpsd should work fine (now that new
version of both it and tangogps are in sid), but alas it doesn't
auto-start of GPS chip on demand. Probably gpsd should be anyway
installed on demand, possibly also configuring it for our /dev/ttySAC1
device. Then it's just a matter of turning the GPS device on manually
from openmoko-panel-plugin in addition to launching the actual
application.

>   Problem is, tangogps does not work with vector data, as navit does.

Navit has its own share of problems including slowness on Neo, but
indeed it's the "correct way". Tangogps's PNG data eats all your SD
card space and it doesn't have routing functionality, but on the other
hand it works fine then for showing where you actually are and
pre-rendered graphics look good.

>   zhone still shuts down the system on "exit zhone"
>   apply the following patch as suggested by Enrico Zini
>
> http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/smartphones-userland/2009-October/002116.html

There is also recent upstream activity with a new maintainer/developer
at git.openmoko.org. Some of it could be considered to be brought to
Debian, although we're moving to cornucopia / frameworkd 2.0.

-Timo