I am running an iMac 2010 with an SSD. All absolutely fine after upgrade and
agree that the iCloud integration is much clearer. Also saw a significant
increase in free disk space.

I would do it, just make sure you have sufficient disk space available for the
download and installation. I was down to 3 or 4Gb on my start-up drive and it
failed first time, had to clear more space. As I said earlier once you have
completed the installation the available space will rise significantly. I would
also recommend CleanMyMac to strip out unwanted or unrequired files.

Chris