Hi,

Further to the exchange below I contacted Apple support via “Chat” and have now
resolved the issue.
They were able to run a diagnostic test which ermined that the iPad was OK and
that it was a software issue.
Below ===== is the key element of the chat transcript which once followed,
resolved the issue.

What will need to do is preform a recovery mode restore which will wipe the
iPad.
Once complete you’ll setup the iPad as new and test it for a few hours to
verify the issue is resolved before restoring from backup to put all of your
data back on your iPad.

If the issue returns after restoring from backup that means the issue is with
the backup itself and will need to preform another recovery mode restore and
setup as new before manually syncing your content and data back to your iPad to
prevent the issue from transferring back.

Before we can preform the recovery mode restore we need to make sure your Mac
has the latest version of iTunes installed.

Kind regards,

Steve.

On 16 May 2018, at 14:24, 'Steve Davies' via Sussex Mac User Group