I would tend to agree with you that these are false positives. Eweek, Infoworld, Birthday Express, Best Buy, Chadwicks cause regular spam tagging here.

If it is a company I've heard of and the links and such point back to that company, I usually give it the benefit of the doubt.

----- Original Message -----
From: Matt
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2004 6:35 AM
Subject: Re: [sniffer] My issues with the General category, looking forabettersolution

Greg,

Yes, I should have inserted a "probably" or otherwise taken more care with my words.  I didn't mean for my reply to be contentious.

Anyway, here's a sample of what I am talking about.  I've isolated most major bulk-mail providers from the rest of my Hold E-mail which constitutes about 2% of all blocked mail on my system.  From midnight though 7 a.m. (7 hours) I had 49 messages held that were from these providers.  Of those 49 messages, 42 were false positives, partly due to my own fault in weighting Big Foot Interactive to auto-hold, but of the 42, 26 were tagged by Sniffer-General.  Those were from the following companies:

    Circuit City
    Sur La Table (a wine shop)
    eWEEK
    Daily Inbox
    Harry and David
    Things Remembered

What I think is happening is that people buy something online at Circuit City, and then Circuit City automatically adds them to their E-mail list, and then someone that doesn't like the practice of default opt-in reports it to Sniffer and it is added to the General category.  The same thing probably happened to most of the list above except for Daily Inbox which is not related to commerce.  There is also a possibility of some harvesting or not honoring opt-outs, but the sample above is not nearly as bad or suggestive of such as most Sniffer-General hits.

I have also found that SpamCop and SenderDB-Block have similar issues, often having what I personally consider to be false positives on first-party advertising such as the list above (at least one of the three paid a role in virtually all of the 42 false positives this morning).  I get the feeling that SpamCop has either dirty spamtraps (old dead accounts or catch-alls used as spamtraps) or there are enough submissions of this stuff for them to tag these sources, and I have a feeling that Alligate which powers SenderDB has bayesian filtering that isn't friendly to advertising content or is triggered by other things like SpamCop, or shared IP's are causing the hits on some of it.

Am I just one of a few that considers these things to be false positives?  Do others just not really care if this stuff gets blocked?  I'm not sure, but I don't want to keep reporting these things as FP's only to piss off the people that are reporting them, and I don't wish for the people that consider them to be spam to impact my system in the way that it is currently if I can help it, and I hope there is an easier way to approach this.  Note that I expect no miracles, I just thought this was something that might be fruitful to discuss.

Matt