Title: Re: Re[2]: [sniffer] Sniffer Updates
I made this one, which is probably also somewhere on the sniffer site. Change directories and keys for your use:

d:
cd\Batch Files\Sniffer
 
wget http://sniffer:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/Sniffer/Updates/<key>.snf -O <key>.snf.gz --timestamping --header=Accept-Encoding:gzip
 
gzip -d -f <key>.snf.gz
 
:Check
fcom32 "c:\mdaemon\sniffer\<key>.snf" "d:\batch files\sniffer\<key>.snf"
if errorlevel 1 goto Test
goto :Done
 
:Test
snf2check.exe <key>.snf <password>
if errorlevel 1 goto Done
 
copy /y <key>.snf c:\mdaemon\sniffer
copy /y <key>.snf <key>.old
 
:Done

 
Check for wrapping by your e-mail client! I've put an empty line between every line, to make sure you see what belongs together. Next to the --timestaping feature of wget, I also use fcom32.exe to see if the file is really different than the one before. This example also uses gzip!
 
Greets,
Michiel


From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jim Matuska
Sent: maandag 27 december 2004 19:51
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Re[2]: [sniffer] Sniffer Updates

Does anyone have any good instructions on how to modify your update scripts to use gzip? 
 
Jim Matuska Jr.
Computer Tech2, CCNA
Nez Perce Tribe
Information Systems
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, December 27, 2004 10:43 AM
Subject: Re: Re[2]: [sniffer] Sniffer Updates

Automate harassment reminders to those of us not using it. :)

I think I'll go enable gzip tonight




-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Landry William <[email protected]>
Sent: Mon Dec 27 12:36:06 2004
Subject: Re[2]: [sniffer] Sniffer Updates

On Monday, December 27, 2004, 12:46:19 PM, Landry wrote:


LW> Are folks taking advantage of the "wget" compression option before
LW> downloading their rulebase updates?  If the slow download speeds are a
LW> bandwidth saturation issue on the Sniffer end, this would certainly cut down
LW> on the bandwidth requirements on their end and increase the download times
LW> for everyone.

LW> Also, I've got to ask, if the downloads are happening "behind the scenes",
LW> by an automated or triggered download, why the concern about speeds, as long
LW> as your downloads are successful?

>From what I've seen in the logs, only about 5% of folks are taking
advantage of gzip right now.

Also, I did some incantations on the log (grep, awk, uniq etc) and
came up with just under half of our customers downloading their
rulebase between 1200 and 1300 today. That's between 2 and 3 times as
many as should have done it ;-) -- so the backlog is explainable.

This kind of thing happens for lots of reasons and there are a lot of
ways to mitigate the problem.

A big one on the list - certainly - is using the gzip capability. With
only 5% of folks using this and average compression ratios well above
50% there is plenty of room to "make a big dent" in this.

_M




This E-Mail came from the Message Sniffer mailing list. For information and (un)subscription instructions go to http://www.sortmonster.com/MessageSniffer/Help/Help.html

Reply via email to